Architectural buildings have been traced back to the ancient history of Yerevan and have met the demand and standardization of the time period. Amiryan Street has been considered to be one of the most important and busiest streets of the 20th century, the country administrative buildings were concentrated in there. The street was called Nazarovskaya, Christapor, Vramshapouh and Amiryan. Due to the city plan made by the Caucasus viceroy the street had a width of 12 metre; two-storey houses, traditional Armenian balconies were typical of the street, and one could often see coachmen walking along the street. In the 19th century Hripsime Female Gymnasium and town hospital were located on Nazarovskaya street (nowadays on 28/6 Amiryan Street). Grigor Ghazaryan and Gevorg Ter Ohanian took the initiative in donating to the church building, Saint Gregory the Illuminator, which was later transformed into cinema “Godless” (Anastvats) and then into the school named after Yeghishe Charents.
In 1920 the street was called Christapor after the name of the Armenian Revolutionary Party founder Christapor Michaelyan. In 1921 it was called Amiryan, then – Vramshapouh in honour of the King Vramshapouh though the name got no popularity among the Armenians and today the street is known as Amiryan. Many years have passed but the history is repeated. Amiryan Street is as crowded as ever, it’s again the same busiest street with the officials and public figures always in a hurry. Only the public transport has changed; instead of horses and coachmenwe can see luxurious and precious cars.