Tour to Tatev
Tatev Monastery is a unique masterpiece of Armenian architecture, built in the 9th century. This monastery was one of the oldest spiritual centers of medieval Armenia, as well as the biggest university of its time. Due to the construction of «Wings of Tatev», the longest cable way in the world (5,7 km), the complex has become one the most visited places in Armenia. Through the efforts of the «Tatev Revival» foundation the travel route, stretching to the South of the country, turned to the most active and demanded direction not only within locals, but for tourists as well.
If you start your trip from Yerevan city, we advice to visit the monastery with at least one overnight, because the way to Tatev is long and rich with various wonderful sights, worth seeing. In case one day tour is more convenient variant for you, let us inform that we stop only in Areni, Noravank and Karahunj to save time. In monastic complex Tatev we will see powerful fortresses, rising up above steep cliffs, ancient oil press with millstones, the pendulous pillar (gavazan, a unique medieval structure), crypt of Grigor Tatevatsi, the last saint of Armenian church, ancient frescos by European masters. Lunches are organized at Tatevatun restaurant or in Tatev village, at one of rural houses, where you will have chance to try tasty local food.
Departure from Yerevan early in the morning
Stop in Areni village, just before the Bird’s Cave, where the oldest winery with the history of 6000 years was discovered. Nowadays, as it was in the past, this place is considered to be the center of Armenian wine-making, where one can try various perfect wines made of grape sort called “Areni”. We can organize wine tasting at a small factory or at the house of a local winemaker.
Visit to monastic complex Noravank, built in the 13-14th cc in Vayots Dzor region. Noravank, surrounded by unique and mysterious reddish cliffs, was the spiritual center of medieval Syunik (a region in Armenia). In the first half of the 14th century prominent miniaturist, sculptor and architect Momik lived and worked here.
Stop in Sisian city to visit “Karahunj” observatory, a prehistoric megalithic construction. This monument, dating back to the 6 millennium BC, is considered to be the oldest observatory in the world. It consists of huge stones with holes on the tops, vertically located according to certain logic.
Lunch by prior request.
Visit to medieval Tatev monastery on the longest ropeway in the world “Wings of Tatev”(5,7 km). “Wings of Tatev” reversible ropeway was constructed within the framework of “Tatev Revival” project. Aeral trip to monastery lasts 12 minutes, whereas the road along the steep Vorotan gorge lasts 40 minutes.
Return to Yerevan
Individual tour by request
|2-3 pax||4-6 pax||7-15 pax||16-25 pax||25 pax and more|
|AMD 58806||AMD 38880||AMD 32157||AMD 21060||AMD 13284|
Group tours with guaranteed departures
|11 June||AMD 38000|
|17 September||AMD 38000|
*The price of the tour package is per 1 person
in case of certain number of people, noted in each group.
The package includes:
- Transportation on comfortable vehicles;
- Guide service;
- Wine tasting in Areni;
- Ropeway tickets for both directions;
- Tour program and Armenian travel map;
- Drinking water in the vehicle;
- 24 hour customer service by phone;
The price does not include:
- Lunches during the tour. We can order lunchboxes or organize lunch at one of restaurants or rural houses, located on the way; the price per person is 10 $;
- Additional alcoholic drinks;
- In case of individual requests the timing and tour program can be edited according to your preferences.
- We can start tour from any address in Yerevan.
- “Wings of Tatev” ropeway works 6 days a week, from 10:00 AM to 07:00 PM, except Mondays. The last flight is accomplished at 06:45 PM.
- Visits to “Devil’s Bridge”, “Harsnadzor” , “Old Khndzoresk” are organized by prior request.
- If you consider Tatev tour too saturated for you, the variant with 1 overnight is also possible; we can organize booking at a hotel in Goris.
- The tour for children under 5 is free of charge.
- 50 % discount for children 5-10 is available.
- The content of this publication is the intellectual property of “Barev Armenia” company, and full or partial copying of the material will be considered as copyright infringement respectively.