Climbing Mount Azhdahak
This tour to the highest point of Geghama mountains and the third highest mount in Armenia - Mount Azhdahak (3597m) considered as one of the most popular among mountain and hiking tours in Armenia. Most of the year Azhdahak Mount is covered with snow, but the slopes are smooth and quite passable. The top of the mount offers scenic views of the surrounding mountains and the lake, formed in the crater of the mountain.
Azhdahak is evil dragon in Armenian and Iranian mythology, whose name is Azhidahaka. Azhi means – snake, dragon, who fights against the god of thunder Freydun.
To shorten the way to one day, we will go through the first part of the road on SUVs. It will make our ascent even more interesting. We will witness the oldest evidences of mystifications and worshiping natural forces: murals and vishapaqars – unique stone-dragons, which can be found only in the Armenian Highlands.
Departure from Yerevan to Geghard village. The slope near the village offers incredible view on Azat gorge and Mount Ararat.
On the SUVs we will reach the piedmont of the Azhdahak Mount. We'll make a short stop at Vank or Vishapalich lake, which is famous for it's vishapakars.
We will start our ascent to the top of Azhdahak (3597) near the shepard settlement of Yezidis, which is famous for its crater lake. On our way to the top we will witness plenty rock paintings.
Return to Yerevan.
Individual tour by request
|2-3 pax||4-6 pax||7-15 pax||16-25 pax||25 pax and more|
|AMD 66500||AMD 47800||AMD 35500||AMD 30000||AMD 20000|
Group tours with guaranteed departures
|23 July||AMD 33500|
|20 August||AMD 33500|
according to specified number of pax.
- All the transfers on a comfortable vehicle;
- English speaking mountain guide;
- Tour program, tour-map of Armenia,
- Drinking water in a vehicle,
- Around-the-clock phone support,
- Picnic during the tour. Optionally, one can order a lunchbox,
- List of required things: backpack, waterproof clothing, mountain shoes, KIT, Additional warm clothing, food – in order you did not order from the company,
- This tour is of medium difficulty and doesn't require any special physical preparation,
- The schedule and route of individual tours can be edited according to your wishes,
- Tour can be started from any place you prefer in Yerevan,
- The best season for this tour is the period from June to September,
- It is not recommended for persons under 15 years to take part in the tour,
- This publication is intellectual property of the company Barev Armenia tour operator. Full or partial copying of material entails a violation of copyright.