Tour to Holy Etchmiadzin
Many guests often ask our tour-guides about the difference between Armenian Apostolic church and all the other Christian churches around the world. Armenia is the first country in the world to adopt Christianity as a state religion in 301 AD. Christianity had a big influence on Armenian architecture, music, literature and visual arts. Tour to Holy Etchmiadzin will give us a chance to get acquainted with the peculiarities of Armenian Christianity, it's rich history and heritage. Etchmiadzin is a small town not so far from Yerevan – 15 km, where the mother church of the Armenian Apostolic Church – Etchmiadzin Cathedral is located. In Etchmiadzin one can find numerous old churches, museums, the residence of the Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians and many other Christian facilities. Echmiadzin is often called “Armenian Vatican”. It is also recommended to visit Etchmiadzin in days of Feasts of Jesus Christ and on the days of liturgies.
Departure from Yerevan.
First stop - Saint Hripsime Church, one of the excellent examples of spiritual structures of medieval Armenia. It is considered as the first cross-domed structure in Armenian architecture.
After visiting Saint Gayane Church – one of masterpieces of Armenian architecture of VII century – we will visit Saint Shoghakat Church. The church sits on the holy site where a group of unnamed nuns following Saint Gayane and Hripsime were martyred during the time of the conversion of Armenia to Christianity in the year 301 AD.
Etchmiadzin Cathedral - the mother church of the Armenian Apostolic Church, built in 4th century. Armenia's patron saint Gregory the Illuminator had a vision of Jesus descending from heaven and striking the earth with a golden hammer to show where the cathedral should be built. The Cathedral is built on a place of pagan temple. It is one of the oldest Christian structures in the world.
The treasure-house of Holy Etchmiadzin, which houses numerous of valuable artifact: artistic items, samples of church art as well as applied art, cross banners, Right Hands, and so on. The holy Geghard or the lance that pierced the side of Christ by the Roman soldier is also exposed at the treasury.
Lunch at apricot orchard in the open air (pre-order).
Zvartnots Cathedral is considered as a masterpiece of early medieval Armenian architecture, and listed as UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Cathedral has round structure, unique compound of Armenian constructing practice, sculpture, decorative art of early Middle Ages.
Return to Yerevan.
Individual tour by request
|2-3 pax||4-6 pax||7-15 pax||16-25 pax||25 pax and more|
|AMD 26000||AMD 18000||AMD 13000||AMD 9000||AMD 6000|
- All the transfers on a comfortable vehicle;
- English speaking guide;
- Entrance fees to museums and historical sites;
- Tour program, tour-map of Armenia,
- Drinking water in a vehicle,
- Around-the-clock phone support,
- Lunch during the tour. Optionally, one can order a lunchbox, dinner at any restaurant on the route or at rustic tavern. Price per person - $10;
- The schedule and route of individual tours can be edited according to your wishes,
- Tour can be started from any place you prefer in Yerevan,
- There are three museums at Etchmiadzin Cathedral: Treasury-house, Sacristy and Museum after Ruben Sevak. It is planned to visit only one museum during the tour,
- In Sundays or in those days, when a special service is passed, museums are open from 14:00,
- The tour is free for children under 5,
- 50% discount for children from 6 to 10 years,
- This publication is intellectual property of Barev Armenia tour operator. Full or partial copying of material entails a violation of copyright.