Order a tour
From Yerevan: 317 km/ 4 h. 20 min.
Shushi is the administrative center of the same name region of Nagorno-Karabakh. The city is considered to be the former capital of the republic and up to the 20th century played an important role in cultural and economic lives of Artsakh as well as whole Transcaucasia.
The ceramic and clay objects of 14-13 cc BC, found in the territory of Shushi, prove that there was a fortress-settlement here in the remote past. Due to the inaccessible location, Shushi served as a defensive area for the Armenian population of Vananda, Artsakh region, Great Hayk; later, being protected by defensive walls, it became one the most important fortresses of Vananda melikdom. There are ancient cemeteries near the city; Armenian khachkars («cross-stones») and pottery of 9-12 cc were found in the territory.
Shushi was an important center of Armenian culture, where education and, especially, printing were highly developed. In 1827-1920 Shushi had 5 printing houses, more than 150 books were published here.
In 1991-1992 Stepanakert and other settlements were bombed from Shushi (hundreds of people died during this war). During Artsakh battle the city served as military base for the Azerbaijani army. In 1992, May the 6th, Shushi was liberated due to the effort of Artsakh army. Now 3000 people live in Shushi; many of them are refugees from Sumgait and Baku. The city was badly damaged because of the war. In 2007 new city plan was created. It is intended to renovate Shushi as a cultural center by 2020.
St. Amenaprkich (St. Almighty) church of 40 m high is dominant in terms of architecture; otherwise it is called Ghazanchetsots. It was built in 1888. Hotels in Shushi will help to make your visit to the city cozier.