Order a tour
Location: Shirak region
From Yerevan: 122 km/ 1 h. 44 min.
Gyumri is the second largest city of Armenia. It is located in the North-West of the republic, 1550 m above sea level. The population is about 146 thousand people.
The initial version of the name of the city Kumayri means «cave group» and is connected with Shirak natural caves, which served as storages of agricultural production (first of all wheat) as well as save shelters for the first inhabitants of Shirak Valley.
In 1837, after Russian emperor Nikolai 1's visit, the city was renamed Alexandrapol in honor of his wife Alexandra. In 1899, after the construction of the railway, Alexandrapol became the important railway junction; a military, trade, business and cultural center. «Anush» opera by prominent Armenian composer Armen Tigranyan was staged at Gyumri City Theater. During Soviet times, the city was renamed Leninakan in honor of Vladimir Lenin. After the declaration of the independence of the Republic of Armenia Gyumri got its modern name, which is the colloquial form of word Kumayri.
Gyumri was a settlement since time immemorial. This is evidenced by the bronze works of the II millennium BC, found during constructing works of 1875 in so called «Soldier's Grave», as well as iron decorations and knives of 10-9 cc BC, found in 1908.
The city was crucially damaged after the earthquake of 1988 in Spitak; tens of thousands of people died and got injured. Up today the city is being renovated. Nowadays engineering and food industrial enterprises, an airport operate in Gyumri.
Mushurba (A mug, which produces a peculiar sound, when the liquid is being drunk. Also this mug keeps the initial temperature of water.) is one of the symbols of Gyumri. In 21st century it became a nice tradition within the dwellers to present a mushurba to guests. In 2013 a monument to Mushurba was erected in Gyumri.
«Tour to Gyumri» package will help to get acquainted with Gyumri better.